Saturday, August 1, 2009

Wow, David

I woke up this morning and decided to read a Psalm before I left for school. This never happens but for today it did, and I actually got something out of it.

In Psalm 7, David is singing to God, like usual. Something caught me off guard. In this Psalm, David sings, "Judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness,
according to my integrity, O Most High." Psalm 7:8
I don't think he said this out of pride. I believe he led a genuinely righteous lifestyle up to his later days.
I began my train of thought on the drive to school. How many Christians would ask God to judge them on their righteousness? I certainly wouldn't. It is suspected David wrote that Psalm while he was with the prophets after fleeing Saul, but before David started being corrupt.
Would you tell God to judge you by your righteousness? Righteousness is integrity, how well you hold from sin. I, and most people I assume, would be horrified if He judged us based on our 'level' of righteousness. I think it's a good thing God doesn't do that though. He doesn't judge us by our mistakes or works. He sees what's in our hearts, if we have love and faith for him. This by no means means that you are fine to live in sin. "If you do not obey my commands the truth is not in you." We should all strive to be righteous. I am just thankful I am not judged on righteousness. I have a weak integrity. A weak will. Weak love. Weak faith. But it keeps me going and it will become greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment